Pepperoni Red Sauce for Spaghetti
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 800 g tomatoes (preferable ripe)
- New Milano pepperoni (1 stick)
- 1 red onion, medium
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and put them in a bowl. Mash them with a fork or hands.
- Finely chop the basil leaves. Peel and finely slice the onion and garlic.
- Dice the pepperoni into half inch pieces.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and the onion. Cook for about 6 minutes, until onion pieces turn golden.
- Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes, pepperoni, and vinegar.
- Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and one teaspoon oregano and continue cooking for around 15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Around 2 minutes before taking the sauce off the fire, add the chopped basil.